Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Rosary in Bochnia
The tales of the Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Rosary are connected with the miraculous painting, dated back to the 12th century. The first notes about the painting come from the year 1620, when Krzysztof Bakowski, a townsman from Wieliczka handed it to the Dominicans as a gift. They didn't care enough about the painting and the angry owner moved it to the church in Bochnia. The stories about the miraculous healing powers of the painting appear as early as in 17th century. As the time passed, the cult of the painting became even stronger and the rumors of its powers were known in countrywide. In the 20th century many efforts were made to crown the painting. On 26th of December 1933, bishop Franciszek Lisowski brought the edict which allowed the painting to be crowned by him. Om 1998 the church of St. Nicolas (Mikolaj), which houses the painting received the status of a basilica minor. The church itself is a gothic building, dated back to the first half of the 15th century. No more than 200 years later, the sanctuary was partially destroyed by a huge fire. The entire interior was renovated and re-arranged in the baroque style. Religious life in Bochnia have been revolving around the church of St. Nicolas for centuries. Pilgrims still visit the sanctuary as they used to in the past decades.