Śliska 14 St., 30-516 Krakow, tel: +48 12 656-12-66, fax.: +48 12 656-12-66 ext. 217
http://www.pilgrimage-poland.eu, e-mail: email@example.com
Lichen - Sanctuary of Our Lady the Queen of Poland
Lichen, today known for its biggest temple in Poland, has been a place for the Virgin Mary cult, connected with the miraculous painting of the Virgin Mary, for many years. The history of the painting goes back to the times of Napoleon. In 1813, during the battle of Leipzig, Virgin Mary appeared to one of the Polish soldiers named Tomasz Klosowski, saving him from death and asking him to find a picture of her that would resemble her appearance. Klosowski eventually found the picture and brought it to a chaple in the forest near Lichen. According to the legend, Virgin Mary has appeared to a shepherd Mikolaj Sikatka, who was praying at the chapel in 1850. On 29th of September, the painting was moved to the church in Lichen.
When in 2004, after ten years of work, the monumental basilica was finished, the authorities decided to move the miraculous painting to the newly built temple.
The church is build to resemble a cross. 33 stairs lead to the entrance, reminding of the 33 years of Jesus' life on earth. The building has 365 windows and 52 doors, which symbolises the days and weeks of a single year.
In the central part of the sanctuary, a large, 25-metre-tall stone hill was built. It was made of concrete and stones to symbolise Golgotha, with a maze of tracks, caves, chapels, statues and bas-reliefs.
Sanctuary in Lichen is also known for its spring with miraculous water. The spring was consecrated on 14th of August 1968.Lichen - map
|Serwis dla grup pielgrzymkowych. A w nim: o Sanktuarium Bożego Miłosierdzia w Łagiewnikach, o Krakowie oraz nasza oferta turystyczna: noclegi, posiłki i przewodnicy. Tu znajdziesz informacje niezbędne do organizacji pielgrzymki.|
|All rights reserved. Copying and using the texts included on the website without the permission of Academic Accommodation Centre (ACN) prohibited. © ACN 2007-2008|